Display categories as drop down list in WordPress template file
When doing WordPress customizations, often I required drop down list of all category if I have a large number of category in my blogs.
This drop down list can save a large area in our themes. We just want to paste a small code snippet on our template file.
<form action="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/" method="get"> <?php $select = wp_dropdown_categories('show_option_none=Select Category&show_count=1&orderby=name&echo=0&selected=6'); $select = preg_replace("#<select([^>]*)>#", "<select$1 onchange='return this.form.submit()'>", $select); echo $select; ?> <noscript><input type="submit" value="View" /></noscript> </form>
In this code snippet, we use
wp_dropdown_categories function to retrieve all category as a drop down list. If you like more customization on this function, visit function referance page in WordPress codex.
- Action hooks that trigger on, before or after add, update or delete actions of option - WordPress
- Get all variations of a variable product - WooCommerce
- Generate random string - Python
- Split domain from an email address - Python
- Get upcoming N days - PHP
Your Questions / Comments
If you found this article interesting, found errors, or just want to discuss about it, please get in touch.