Download files using Wget - Linux command line tool
The Wget is a Linux command line utility to retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP. It is a non-interactive command line tool, so it may easily be called from scripts, cron jobs, terminals without X-Windows support, etc.
The Wget can handle all most complex download situations including large file downloads, recursive downloads, non-interactive downloads, multiple file downloads etc.
During server management sessions, often I want to use this linux tool. So now I just like to review few download method examples using Wget in different scenarios.
1) Download file to current folder with same name
2) Download file to current folder with different name using Wget
wget -O new-file-name your-download-file-link
3) Download in the Background Using Wget
For a huge download, we can make the download as a background action.
wget -b your-download-file-link
4) Download Multiple items Using Wget
First we are going to make a text file that contain all URLs for download items using
cat > new.txt
This awaits input from user, so type the urls and then use
CTRL+D to save and exit.
cat > new.txt url1 url2 url3
Next, give the
new.txt as argument to wget using
-i option as shown below.
$ wget -i new.txt
5) Specify Download Speed Using Wget
In some situations, we want to limit the Download speed. So we just want to use
--limit-rate option and its value with
wget --limit-rate=200k your-download-file-link
6) Increase Total Number of Retry Attempts Using Wget
If the size of the file to be downloaded is larger, there is a chance of failures in the download. But default
wget retries 20 times to make the download successful.
If needed, we can increase retry attempts using
--tries option as shown below.
wget --tries=75 your-download-file-link
- Redirect single pages of post type in to post type archive page - WordPress
- Get details about available image sizes - WordPress
- Change shipping and billing address title - WooCommerce
- Add phone number to the output of the addresses on the "My Account" page - WooCommerce
- Conditional tags for order thank you page - WooCommerce
Your Questions / Comments
If you found this article interesting, found errors, or just want to discuss about them, please get in touch.