Random banner in Magento 1 using static blocks
The banners are an inevitable part of any E-Commerce store. They help to increase our sales by promoting new products, special offers & discounts etc.
Today I’m going to make a simple random banner in our Magento powered online store with static blocks and template files.
- To add a random banner in Magento stores, first add few static blocks from administration panel (CMS->Static Blocks->Add new block).
When creating this static block, follow a common Identifier naming scheme for all these static block like
BannerIdentifier_1 BannerIdentifier_2 BannerIdentifier_3 BannerIdentifier_4 ... BannerIdentifier_N
- Normally we use images as banner & so insert our banner image on each static block.
Then wrap that image using anchor tag that target our specific page, product or category like
<a href="http://mystore.com/my_new_product/"><img src="" alt="Some alt text" /></a>
- Now we just added an image link as our banner. But we have option to add text, buttons etc on that image with some CSS tricks & now that is purely off topic for me.
Then add a single line of code in our template file to echo a random static block.
<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock('cms/block')->setBlockId('BannerIdentifier_'.mt_rand(1, N))->toHtml() ?>
Here we use a PHP function,
mt_rand() to achieve our goal. The
mt_rand() return a random integer value between one and N because our parameters for
mt_rand() function is one & N.
We use this returned integer value as a part of our static block identifier & echo that static block on that page.
To view our random banner, flesh the Magento cache and reload the store.
- Remove edit, view, trash and quick edit links within posts list of admin screen - WordPress
- PHP Errors not displaying or not logging - LAMP server - Solved
- Display all hooks sequentialy that run on a page - WordPress
- Get downloadable files of a downloadable product - WooCoomerce
- Add actions based on WooCoomerce order status
Your Questions / Comments
If you found this article interesting, found errors, or just want to discuss about them, please get in touch.