User names for connecting to AWS EC2 instances via SSH
Recently, I got chance to work with various Linux distributions on Amazon AWS EC2 instances. When creating EC2 instance, normally we will select AMI & AWS done all other tasks.
It never ask for a user name. But when I start to communicate with my server via SSH, the user name is essential.
So here is a small list that show the official AMI SSH user name for various Linux distributions in AWS EC2.
|OS / Distro||User name|
|RHEL 6.4 and later||ec2-user|
|RHEL 6.3 and earlier||root|
Some AMIs are configured like when we start a SSH communication with
root will output a message informing us the correct user to use and then close the connection. For example,
$ ssh root@<my_ip> Please login as the user "ubuntu" rather than the user "root".
- Action hooks that trigger on, before or after add, update or delete actions of option - WordPress
- Get all variations of a variable product - WooCommerce
- Generate random string - Python
- Split domain from an email address - Python
- Get upcoming N days - PHP
Your Questions / Comments
If you found this article interesting, found errors, or just want to discuss about it, please get in touch.