Track and push empty folders in Git
My directory structure & files location is like below one.
parent_dir/sample.txt parent_dir/child_dir/abc.txt parent_dir/child_dir/xyz.txt
The requirement is that I need to ignore all files in
child_dir. But I need to include the empty
child_dir in my source.
There is no direct option to achieve the requirement in
git only tracks files and not folders.
The solution is simple. Never empty the directory!
.gitignore file in root folder is given below.
.gitignore into the folder. Then add that
.gitignore file with our source.
* */ !.gitignore
The file name
gitignore, makes some confusion in future. So I always prefer the second solution.
Add an empty file called
.gitkeep to the folder we want to keep. Modify our .gitignore file like below one.
# exclude everything parent_dir/child_dir/* # exception to the rule !parent_dir/child_dir/.gitkeep
- Solve "ValueError invalid literal for int() with base 10" - Python
- Handling dynamic subdomain with Flask - Python
- A minimal example about WordPress object cache
- Select random element from a list - Python
- Write our first Selenium program with Python 3 & Firefox
Your Questions / Comments
If you found this article interesting, found errors, or just want to discuss about it, please get in touch.